Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Mouses in Houses

Mice are very adept at invading our homes. Even if we never see them, a new study suggests that they may have left their calling cards, to the detriment of our health.

This article describes a study in which investigators found detectable levels of mouse allergens in 82% of the 800 homes they sampled. They suggest that mouse allergen might be an unrecognized trigger for asthma.

The allergen was most frequently found on the kitchen floor. Understandable.

Allergen was also commonly found on beds. Ick.

I have anecdotal evidence of mice in my house (see this and this), so I imagine my house is chock full of allergen, which can't be good for my asthma.

The solution might be obvious...get a cat.

But I'm allergic to 'em.