Saturday, December 20, 2008

Revenge of the Rodents


Mice Start Deadly Fire That Kills 100 Cats at Shelter
Reported by: RNS

Saturday, Dec 20, 2008 @11:25am CST

Canadian authorities say mice were responsible for starting a fire that killed about 100 cats at an animal shelter.

The "Toronto Star" reports the 250-thousand-dollar blaze is still under investigation, but preliminary reports suggest it began from mice chewing through electrical wires.

Several rabbits and rodents also died in the fire but firefighters were able to save nine dogs.

While many flooded the shelter's website with donations, some are questioning why the animals were left unattended overnight.

According to the shelter's manager, it can't afford an overnight staff.